Monday 22 September 2008

Step Away From The Axe Mother Dear - Monday 22nd Sept

The back route to Braggasargues in the Gard region - no more grapes!

I heard from my pal Maggie today that England was enjoying some really great autumnal weather. A bit nippy but lovely blue skies and no rain. What a welcome change after the rotten summer that they have experienced. I thought I’d give Mum a call and see how she was enjoying being out in the garden, and she gleefully informed me that she had been trying to take down her bird table.
“I had a go with a saw but I got a bit tired halfway through, so I thought I might try the axe”.
I begged her to desist from either and to go inside and have a large sherry.

Unfortunately I know where my genes spring from, and if there is a job that needs doing, I won’t rest until I have fathomed out a way to do it. I do hope that by the time I go and visit her next week, she will have all her digits intact and Molly the Labrador will have stayed well clear of any swinging axes.

If I had a euro for every time that I have climbed up the step ladder today, I could retire a wealthy woman. However, it has been worth it, and the curtains are now in place and looking super. We got around the sewing machine problem by purchasing a few rolls of the very clever iron on tape that instantly turns to glue the moment it gets hot. In a trice I had the side seams stuck down, but I did the decent thing and hand stitched across them where I had joined them just in case someone gave them a bit of a tug, and they fell in half.

It was so lovely sitting out in the courtyard today. The sun has changed its course considerably and the table is being nudged further and further towards the bedroom wall in order to benefit from the warmth. There was a bit of an edge on the breeze, but tucked away round the corner, I sewed and sang along to my music, and decided that early autumn was a fine time of year to be in France.

My mother asked about my French studies and I had to burble all sorts of excuses, but this evening, I had the best French lesson possible. Jean’s internet business links us to the worlds largest on-line shopping mall, and we do most of our shopping on-line which is no hardship at all, since we then receive a very nice cash bonus from the reward points. It was time to do the monthly shop which we used to do through the USA Mall, but this time, I needed to shop through the French Mall and what fun it turned out to be. It’s amazing how quickly one can translate various words when in search of a really snug thermal vest or a long cosy nightdress. I even managed the check-out procedure and was delighted to get an instant 30% off my purchase. I did mention to Jean that if I were to shop every evening, I could probably pick up the language in no time, but he wasn’t buying it, not the way I wanted to buy it! It’s a free membership so if anyone is interested, have a look at The Home Shoppers Club .

We went for a walk this evening just to stretch our legs a bit and it’s amazing to see how fast the gardens are changing. The geraniums are just about over and the last of the petunias are putting on a brave show, but clearly it is time for them to move over and make way for other things. The climbing ivy and their various cousins are changing to a beautiful red and gold, and there is a distinct nip in the air by about six o clock. It’s lovely to come home, close the doors, draw the curtains and put our feet up. Tomorrow we are going into Montpellier and then I think a quick detour to Leroy Merlin and the Castries Fruit and Veg shop might be on the cards. We’ve started replanting all the hundreds of bulbs that we lifted, and I think a garden fork is something that we can no longer do without.

Right now, I am hoping that the weather will stay nice in England, but just in case, I am also hoping that my thermal vest arrives here in time. Who knows, we might even get our three missing bags by the end of the week, and then all we’ll need is our missing box which was actually on the truck but which “got lost”. Talk about hurry up and wait!

No comments: