Wednesday 17 September 2008

Granny's Brag Book - Thursday 18th Sept


The Bulklip Farm Guest Cottage curtains finally in place once more


My dear late Dad who was a hotshot when it came to maths used to look at me in bewilderment as he desperately tried to get me to understand the science. “But can’t you see it?” he would ask, never raising his voice, but occasionally wiping his brow. He would go on to mutter that those who thought that brilliance usually jumped a generation were absolutely right in my case.

Well today I found out that brilliance really does jump a generation, but this time, it has leapfrogged gracefully through his granddaughter who is still intent on improving her skills and who studies hard and scores high marks in all her exams. Claire phoned from Australia today to let me know that his beautiful seven year old great-granddaughter Katie had not only won the Sports prize at her school, but had also won Class Prize. I would have given anything to be sitting in school assembly this morning, applauding loudly as only embarrassing grandmothers are allowed to do.

At least from my vantage point in southern France, I don’t feel quite as far away from them as I did in Miami. This is all relative I suppose, but it does feel as though there is more of a chance of seeing something of them now that I am back in Europe. Katie informs me that she is already studying French at school, and Claire, who oddly enough spent a couple of nights here at the house long before we ever thought of living here, at least knows what I am talking about and can visualise it all which is so great.

I hoped that we could get through the day without the usual trip to Leroy Merlin, and for once we did just that. Thanks to Jean and a good shopping list, we had got all the screws and plugs and drill bits and brackets so that today we could put up the curtains in the big bedroom. I can’t imagine what his right arm must feel like pushing the drill into the solid stone walls, but the job is done and I am so thrilled to see my beautiful curtains fitting exactly, and framing the big picture window. I now have to set about cannibalising some of the others in order to get them to fit the rather long slim-line windows, and also to cover the big French windows in the lounge.

As each item that we have packed and unpacked in various countries finds its place here in the house, we feel more and more as though we belong. From the word go I had a very real feeling that I had “Come Home”, and with our bits and pieces starting to look as though they had been here all the time, we are very content.

Time is racing by and the weeks seem to go past far too fast. Until 5pm today I was convinced it was Wednesday, only to discover that it was in fact Thursday, which meant that we had missed the recycling collection. I can see the car having to do double duty as a dustcart tomorrow. I’d better not miss out on Saturday as the “smelly belly” really does need to be collected.

It suddenly turned sticky and humid this afternoon and as I write, I can start to hear the heavy rumbling of thunder coming in across the Mediterranean. The farmers are racing along with the harvest and the vineyards are largely bare of grapes, and we await the turning colours of autumn to paint the region a glorious red and gold.

After five years of sleeping under a thin cotton sheet with the overhead ceiling fan on, it is bliss to jump into bed (especially now that it doesn’t have a base-board) and snuggle under the duvet. My dear friend Sybil bought me a pair of soft pink sheepskin slippers last year before we went to Canada, and they are so cosy in the mornings if I’m on coffee duty. I am quite sure I will be squeaking when the real cold arrives, but as long as the days are sunny, we will be as snug as bugs during the evenings.

We have been so busy today that we haven’t even unlocked the gates. I think we must have a break soon and nip into Montpellier. I have library books to return and a bank card to pick up, and I really do need to check out that little lunchtime restaurant which promises the best “Croque Monsieur” (toasted cheese and ham sandwich) in the city.

No comments: