Sunday 28 September 2008

The Biggest Baguette I Ever Did See - Sunday 2th Sept

Imaging trying to fit that into the toaster!

The Spanish dancers at the Teyran Market

Sunday morning in France. How sweet it is to awaken to the birdsong, the outline of light behind the curtains which is a sure sign that it is going to be a sunny day, and the smell of percolating coffee. It's a bit nippy to have breakfast outside any longer, but we still enjoy our daily lunch in the courtyard and it's proving to be a lovely sun trap.

Our plans included a drive over to Teyran to check out the "Marche du Terroir" which roughly translates as a market of local country products. Teyran wouldn't be a particularly interesting venue apart from its tiny tightly built village centre, where there is little room for vehicles, and lots of small passageways to explore. We shoe-horned the car into a parking spot and walked up into the church square to be greeted with the sight of four ladies in Spanish dance clothes swirling to the rythmn of the fandango. All around us, tucked away in different alleyways and cul de sacs were stalls offering a wide range of products from pickled snails, tripes in bottles, local wines, paintings, knitting, pottery, woodwork and a huge selection of sausages made from all sorts of animals (including donkey I have to say).


My favourite stall was the bread stall (quelle surprise) and the two young guys who were operating it, were doing a roaring trade selling off large chunks of the biggest loaf of bread I have ever seen. If I hadn't been leaving for England in 48 hours, I would have happily purchased a piece, but instead, we settled for two rather delicious circular sweet pastries filled with sultanas and vanilla cream.

We managed to turn down pottery cicadas, house number plaques, stone sundials and any number of lavender products and with the music from Swan Lake wafting through the sun filled streets, we left and headed back home for lunch before driving up to Ledignan.


With the help of a couple of the staff, we got Mamy installed in the car and took her for a lovely drive through the surrounding countryside. I think she thoroughly enjoyed seeing new villages and vistas of the Cevennes Mountains which were really quite close to us, and it certainly gave her a great topic of conversation when we left her with her pals awaiting supper.


Home just in time to order a delicious anchovy pizza from Mr Marco and I am headed for bed in view of my date with the dentist tomorrow. This time I definitely am not going to forget the appointment time. Once that is over and done with, I must pack my suitcase and prepare for my departure on Tuesday. There won't be any blog for a week but I hope that you'll check back after the 7th October. I am leaving Jean with a fridge full of all sort of appetising meals and he already has a couple of lunch invitations, so I don't think he is going to pine away. Meantime, I am missing him even before I go, and I can't wait to get back to La Belle France.
Je Reviens.

No comments: