Wednesday 10 September 2008

So Far So Good - Wednesday 10th Sept

This is the future as far as I am concerned so nobody had better mess it up!

I awoke this morning and the first thing that I heard was the sound of a pigeon calling out in morse code. “WHO WHO WHO, WAH WAH WAH, WHO WHO WHO”.

“Wake up” I nudged Jean. “Listen to that – it’s morse code, it’s SOS”. I had seen enough episodes of ‘Moonlight’ all about the French Resistance when I was fifteen to know just what was going on”.

Jean who had spent time in the French Army doing his military service, knows a bit about morse code and wasn’t falling for it.

“I’m telling you – one of those message pigeons that they used in the war must have bred in this area and this is one of it’s offspring and they are definitely sending a signal. Oh heck, do you think it’s an alarm call – has the Hadron Collider gone off with a bang and this is nature’s way of letting us know”.

“Look, if we are still here, that means that the coffee is still here. Now are you going to get it or am I?” His tee shirt was rumpled and so was my hair, so clearly we had not gone to another century or galaxy. So much for the Big Bang theory and I pulled on a dressing gown and went to hunt for our two existing coffee mugs.

It is now late evening and it has been one of those days when I can’t say that we have achieved very much, but then again, all sorts of things have been brought to the boil. I think a trip up to Nimes might be on the cards tomorrow as it sounds as though the insurance man is coming into line. Apart from arriving at the airport eight weeks ago, we have seen very little of the city, so it will be nice to take a trip and see the sights.

Postman Patricia delivered a large box that contained a roll of hosepipe and an assortment of plumbing bits which means that we now have the ability to water both front and back garden. We also had a quick trip down to Leroy Merlin (I am sure he was a break dancer in years gone by with a name like that) and we came home triumphant with a 4 metre long curtain rail sticking out of the front window of the car. My gorgeous curtains from the guest cottage on the farm are finally going to be unpacked and hung once more. I haven’t seen them for the best part of nine years and it will be so good to wake up and see those soft colours which represent the cosmos flowers which grew all over Lesotho and Southern Africa.
As my children used to say – “just two more sleeps” and everything will be here.

The high point of my day was a cuddle with our grandson. Priscilla, Damien and Carol Lynn came over for a drink and pizza and of course little Ilhan was the star of the show until he had eaten and promptly fallen asleep again. He is going to be as tall as an American basketball player judging by the length of those little legs, but of course his dad is built like a drainpipe so it is hardly surprising. Priss is doing an Angelina Jolie and has got her figure back within three weeks and motherhood is totally second nature to her.


I have just checked the BBC online news and discovered that although the early stages are going well, the actual serious part of the CERN experiment will only occur over the next few days. So for the time being, it is all rumours that Lake Geneva has been sucked into a Black Hole, and I think we can rest easy in our beds tonight. I am sure the pigeon will give us a warning if we need to take action, although I have no idea what action you have to take if you are about to be turned into a proton. Anyway, I didn’t bother to do the washing up tonight and I don’t know if that can be construed as being positive or negative or just bone idle.

No comments: