Wednesday 24 September 2008

"If It's Tuesday It Must be Belgium" Wednesday 24th Sept

The colours are changing - The Esplanade Charles De Gaulle (but you knew that!)

I felt really bad when I woke up this morning and realised that it was Wednesday. I had spent the whole of yesterday thinking it was Wednesday and I had watched Jean nobly put the bin out last night. This meant that he had to leap out of bed this morning while it was still only half-light and go and bring it back in before the neighbours realised what idiots we were. (OK Jean, what an idiot I was).

Time is a strange thing when the hours are governed by sunshine and a slow pace of life. There is always so much to do, but the actual time of day, or day of the week seems to be very unimportant, hence the dustbin spending the night all alone on the other side of the road without any other bins to keep it company. Tonight he totally refused to put it out until he heard the rumble of Philippe putting his out.

Speaking of our neighbours, what a lovely feeling it was today when we were walking up to the village and prepared to cross at the pedestrian crossing. I realised that a vehicle had stopped for us, and on looking up to wave my thanks, I realised that it was Nathalie from over the road. How nice to be exchanging cheery waves with a neighbour once more.

We had gone up to the Mairie to finalise the paperwork on the new car, only to be handed another sheaf of forms to be filled in. However, we did make the encouraging discovery that if we go to the Montpellier Aglomeration office in Castries, they will give us a composter for free (or just about free). The leaves are about to begin falling and we really could use the proper kit if we are going to produce some good mulch for the garden next year.

The garden seems to be a bit confused at present. In the corner from where we moved the pile of wood for Michelle, we have discovered no less than two bright yellow crocuses in full bloom with more following. Whether they think it is Spring I don’t know, but they are in for a bit of a surprise when they realise that it’s only halfway through September. We’ve managed to replant just about all the bulbs that we dug up while turning and enriching the flower beds, and now we are just about ready to put the garden to bed and wait and see what happens after winter. I phoned Mum today and she informed me that she had put the heating on already, and she advised me to bring my thermal vest and a couple of warm jerseys with me.

Great news. I sent the shipping company another rocket yesterday and low and behold, the local delivery guy phoned to say that he was bringing our three missing bags plus the box of camping stuff that went astray, round to the house tomorrow morning. It’s been three months since we saw those bags and for the life of us, we can’t remember what’s in them, but I do know there is a fair amount of reading material which will be welcome.

I have just started reading “When A Crocodile Eats the Sun” by Peter Godwin, and it is desperately sad to read about the decline of Zimbabwe even though the writing is exceptionally good. I just hope that the present political upheavals in South Africa will soon be smoothed out and that our remaining friends and family who still live there will be safe. I loved my time in Africa, but this sort of reading makes me so glad that my children and grandchildren are safe and happy in Australia, and that we have found a home in France.

The threatened rain in the forecast must have decided to go elsewhere because they have changed their minds and are now promising us another week of glorious weather. The sheer joy of being able to sit out in the midday sun in the courtyard without burning or perspiring is just wonderful. No wonder those little crocuses couldn’t wait to pop their heads up.

No comments: